Sunday, December 2, 2012

God; a pavilion from the heat and the storms

Everyday unfolds new challenges. A challenge is an understatement of the trials and temptations we often face in our journey from earth to glory. Jesus Christ declared that on this earth we are going to face many sorrows & trials (other bible versions: trouble, tribulation, distress, frustration).

If you are human, like me, certainly you have experienced sorrow, trouble or frustration. All this come through many forms. Some have lost their loved ones (this is not easy, but it does not depict other experiences as lesser), others have had to endure pain in their bodies due to disease, losing jobs, failed relationships including divorce, raising children only to be ruined by worldly deception, being victims of crime including rape, crushed dreams, discrimination, lack of any kind (finance, spouse), oppression and many other unmentioned here.

It is at this moment that our ability is exposed as frail and our own means of help appears crippled. Even our lifetime preparedness (savings, education, healthy living) for such occurrences barely match the strength and magnitude of this storms when they suddenly come.

The most natural resolution is to seek help. But it is not natural or ordinary to know where to turn to at this times when they come, because they will certainly come! Only the men of understanding will know where to seek help and refuge. Unfortunately these moments leave most of us frail (weak, destroyed, easily broken, and ailing in our hearts), murmuring and complaining about God.

It reminds me of Brother Job in the bible. When he had lost all his possessions, children, wife and now lay outside with a very disturbing disease; the three friends came to mourn with him. Did you know that for 7 days and nights nobody spoke! It shows the gravity of the troubles that Job was facing!But at the end of his story, we realize a more blessed Job whose relationship with God had matured and blossomed.

Where do you turn to? Where do you seek help? What has God said about these situations? Let me guide you;

[Isaiah 4: 5 - 6]
Then the Lord will create over all of Mount Zion and over those who assemble there a cloud of smoke by day and a glow of flaming fire by night; over everything the glory will be a canopy.  It will be a shelter and shade from the heat of the day, and a refuge and hiding place from the storm and rain. NIV

In the scripture above, God is speaking of creating a canopy (a high cover, shade trees, a defense of divine love and protection) over everything (no discrimination) that gathers at Mount Zion (a symbol of salvation). The purpose is to provide a shelter, a pavilion (an enclosed hidden place), a shade, a refuge (a place of safety and resort) and a hiding place from adversities depicted as heat, storm and rain. Halelluyah!

Look at the following scriptures that reveal God as a refuge, shelter that keeps us away from the power of trouble/storms.

Psalms 57: 1-- A record of memorable thoughts of David when he fled from Saul in the cave.

……for my soul takes refuge and finds shelter and confidence in You; yes, in the shadow of Your wings will I take refuge and be confident until calamities and destructive storms are passed. Amplified Bible

Psalms27:5 

For in the day of trouble He will hide me in His shelter; in the secret place of His tent will He hide me; He will set me high upon a rock. – Amplified Bible

Psalms 18:2 – 6  
The Lord is my Rock, my Fortress, and my Deliverer; my God, my keen and firm Strength in Whom I will trust and take refuge, my Shield, and the Horn of my salvation, my High Tower.
The cords or bands of death surrounded me, and the streams of ungodliness and the torrents of ruin terrified me.
The cords of Sheol (the place of the dead) surrounded me; the snares of death confronted and came upon me.
In my distress [when seemingly closed in] I called upon the Lord and cried to my God; He heard my voice out of His temple (heavenly dwelling place), and my cry came before Him, into His [very] ears.
--Amplified Bible

Psalms 91

He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall remain stable and fixed under the shadow of the Almighty [Whose power no foe can withstand].
I will say of the Lord, He is my Refuge and my Fortress, my God; on Him I lean and rely, and in Him I [confidently] trust!
For [then] He will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence.
 [Then] He will cover you with His pinions, and under His wings shall you trust and find refuge; His truth and His faithfulness are a shield and a buckler.
You shall not be afraid of the terror of the night, nor of the arrow (the evil plots and slanders of the wicked) that flies by day,--Amplified Bible…..Hallelujah!

Ps 46:  1-2 

God is our Refuge and Strength [mighty and impenetrable to temptation], a very present and well-proved help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change and though the mountains be shaken into the midst of the seas,--Amplified Bible

Finally,

John 16:33

I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world. [I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you.]--Amplified Bible

There are many other excellent scriptures that are full of this inspiration from God. Therefore, let us take comfort in His every word and promise. He has deprived the world and the devil of the power to hurt us and He reigns victorious.

In your circumstance, God is your refuge. Cheer up!

No comments: